African American history
- Chapters 3, 6, and 7 in DuBois, The Souls of Black Folk (1903).
- “Booker T. Washington Delivers the 1895 Atlanta Compromise Speech.” http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/39/
- Biographical information on DuBois and Washington.
Write two (2) substantive responses to the following questions (200-250 words).
- What do you think are the most positive aspects of Washington’s positions about how African Americans should be educated and should find accommodation with white Americans? In other words, how does Washington make good sense, considering the time period in which he is writing?
- In your view what are the strongest arguments against Washington’s positions that DuBois makes? Be sure you understand exactly what Washington was willing to give up in terms of citizenship rights and economic justice, and what DuBois thought of these compromises.