Considering the Color
Use the attched documents below to help you with the work, labeled Souls of Black Folk by W. E. B. Du Bois; Black Folk, Chapter XIV
W.E.B. DuBois invites all readers, regardless of ethnic background, to consider his proposition that the color-line will continue to be America’s number one problem.
From our modern perspective, it is our task to decide if we agree or disagree with DuBois’s statement. Do we find that DuBois was correct in his prediction that issues of race and culture would be at the focus of American social, political, and artistic developments, or do we find that the interaction has taken on a lesser or different role than that which DuBois predicted?
Please be sure to include the following in your assignment submission:
- Write a formal, 5-paragraph essay in APA format, including a cover page, in response to this question. Base your answer on your own observations and support your assertions quoting from your assigned readings.
- Read the assigned readings. Highlight quotes, summarize, or paraphrase from this week’s readings and be sure to include an in-text citation in proper APA format (Author, year, p. X).
- We must choose a position. Do not sit the fence on this topic. The goal is to make a strong assertion and prove it, or support it, by quoting from the readings. Include three quotes in your essay.
- Create a strong thesis for your essay. A thesis states your main idea in a sentence. A sample thesis (which you are free to use) might be: W. E. B. Dubois claims that the color-line will continue to be America’s number one problem, which may be seen in or disputed by the (chose to agree or disagree) sample writings by __A__, __B__, and __C__ (insert 1, 2, or 3 writers from your assigned reading).
- Be sure to include an APA reference page.