Compute the Break-Even Point
Mackson Products distributes a single product, a woven basket; its selling price is $8 and its variable cost is $6 per unit. The company’s monthly fixed expense is $5,500.
1. Solve for the company’s break-even point in unit sales using the equation method.
2. Solve for the company’s break-even point in sales dollars using the equation method and CM ratio.
3. Solve for the company’s break-even point in unit sales using the contribution margin method.
4. Solve for the company’s break-even point in sales dollars using the contribution margin met and the CM ratio.
Break-Even Analysis and CVP Graphing
Horace Society is planning its annual Western Fair Raceway Gala. The Gala committee has assembled the following expected costs for the event:
Dinner (per person) $10
Gaming tokens and program (per person) $2
Prize payouts $4,300
Tickets and advertising $800
Private box suite rental $1,700
Lottery licences $200
The committee members would like to charge $40 per person for the evening’s activities.
1. Compute the break-even point for the Gala (in terms of the number of persons that must attend.)
2. Assume only 200 persons attended the Gala last year. If the same number attend this year, what price per ticket must be charged to break even?
3. Using the $40 ticket price per person amount, prepare a CVP graph for the Gala from zero tickets up to 600 tickets sold.
Basic CVP Analysis
Klein Company distributes a high-quality bird feeder that sells for $30 per unit. Variable costs are $12 per unit, and fixed costs total $270,000 annually.
Answer the following independent questions:
1. What is the product’s CM ratio?
2. Use the CM ratio to determine the break-even point in sales dollars.
3. The company estimates that sales will increase by $60,000 during the coming year due to increased demand. By how much should operating income increase?
4. Assume that the operating results for last year were as follows:
Variable expenses 240,000
Contribution margin 360,000
Fixed expenses 270,000
Operating income $90,000
a. Compute the degree of operating leverage at the current level of sales.
b. The president expects sales to increase by 16% next year. By how much should operating income increase?
5. Refer to the original data. Assume that the company sold 23,000 units last year. The sales manager is convinced that a 12% reduction in the selling price, combined with a $40,000 increase in advertising expenditures, would cause annual sales in units to increase 30%. Prepare two contribution-format income statements, one showing the results of last year’s operations and one showing what the results of operations would be if these changes were made. Would you recommend that the company do as the sales manager suggests?
6. Refer to the original data. Assume again that the company sold 23,000 units last year. The president feels that it would be unwise to change the selling price. Instead, he wants to increase the sales commission by $4 per unit. He thinks that this move, combined with some increase in advertising, would increase annual unit sales by 50%. By how much could advertising be increased with profits remaining unchanged? Do not prepare an income statement; use the incremental analysis approach.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.