1. Based on the information provided in the case, illustrate the pricing game between Sony and Microsoft using a 2-by-2 payoff matrix when Sony and Microsoft charge for their games $399, or lower price to $299 as their price competition strategy.
2. Given the price information given in Exhibits 1 and cost information for both companies in Exhibits 2 & 3, find the average variable cost of making a video game produced by Sony and Microsoft.
3. Find the per unit and total video contribution margins for each company when they charge $399 for Sony’s PS3 video game and Microsoft’s Xbox video game.
4. Calculate the pay-offs(profits) when each firm charges $399, Microsoft charges $399, but Sony charges a lower price of $299, when Sony charges $399 and Microsoft charges $299, and both charge $299, In other words, fill out the pay-offs in each of the four quadrants
5. Assume that the demand curves for the games is linear. A) Calculate the own point price elasticities of demand for video games implied by the data at prices of $299 and $399 for both Sony and $399 for both Sony and Microsoft and B). Did Sony and Microsoft make the correct of cutting the price of their game from $399 to $299? C) Justify your answer.
Q#1. All you need to do is to sketch an empty pay-off matrix with 2 firms (Sony and Microsoft) and 2 strategies (charging $399 or reducing price to $299 by either firm) which looks like Table 12.1 on page 389 of the textbook.
Q#2 . You are asked to calculate the AVC for both Sony and Microsoft when they both charge $399, Sony charges $399 and Microsoft reduces to $299, when Microsoft charges $399 and Sony reduces its price to $299, or when both Microsoft and Sony reduce price to $299 based on Exhibits 2 &3. Why is this? To determine the per contribution margin (per unit profit) =Price-AVC ) and total contribution margin(Total profit) = (Price-AVC)Q. These values will be used to fill out the pay-off matrix when both use the same strategy (in cells 1 and 4) or an alternative strategy (cell 12, or cell 21).
Q#3 Determine the contribution margin (per unit profit) =Price-AVC and Total contribution margin (Total Profit) = (Price-AVC)Q based on Q#2. These values will be used to fill out the pay-off matrix when both firms are using the same strategy or an alternative strategy.
Q#4 Fill out the pay-off matrix based your calculations for Q# 3.
Q#5. Calculate the price elasticity demand Ep for Sony and Microsoft when each reduces own price from $399 to $299. Based on the value of the Ep for each firm, did each firm make the correct decision, i.e. did reducing the price by each firm result in an increase of their operating revenue?
If you found that Ep for both > 1 in absolute terms, then did the price reduction result in an increase in the total revenue? If that’s is the case, then each firm made a correct decision.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.