Faculty of Engineering, Environment and Computing
Assignment Brief 2019/20
Airline Strategy, Finance and Economics
|Coursework Title (e.g. CWK1)
Coursework 1 – Airline Analysis Report
|Hand out date:
|Estimated Time (hrs): 30 hours
Word Limit*: 2000 +/-10%
|% of Module Mark
|Submission arrangement : online via CUMoodle by the deadline.
File types and method of recording: MS Word
Mark and Feedback date: within 3 weeks of submission date.
Mark and Feedback method: Written via Moodle. Individual Oral by request.
|Module Learning Outcomes Assessed:
Examine the strategic, economic, and/or financial elements of airlines across different strategic, economic, and/or financial areas.
Understand the theoretical and real-life principles, which underpin, influence, and shape the industry.
You need to identify Virgin Atlantic Airways airline’s strategy, analyse the financial performance and examine its Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. .
This coursework requires you to familiarise yourself and keep up to date with Virgin Atlantic Airways. It requires you to analyse its annual report and any investor presentations (if publicly available); magazine articles (online or offline); newspaper reports; journal papers; books; or otherwise. The need for information to be publicly available is crucial.
1. Identify and examine the strategy of Virgin Atlantic Airways. For example, you may focus on, its markets in dynamics (for example 3-5 years), its value proposition, its key competitors, and / or its key sources of competitive advantage: 25%
2. Analyse and comment on the financial performance of Virgin Atlantic Airways: 25%
3. Identify and analyse Virgin Atlantic Airways’ strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats: 40% (10% for each)
4. References, spelling, grammar, report structure, and presentation: 10%
You are reminded of expectations relating to plagiarism and collusion should refer to the Academic Conduct Guide for further guidance
Important: please read! Academic conduct guide.
1. You are expected to use the CUHarvard referencing format. For support and advice on how this students can contact Centre for Academic Writing (CAW).
2. Please notify your registry course support team and module leader for disability support.
3. Any student requiring an extension or deferral should follow the university process as outlined here.
4. The University cannot take responsibility for any coursework lost or corrupted on disks, laptops or personal computer. Students should therefore regularly back-up any work and are advised to save it on the University system.
5. If there are technical or performance issues that prevent students submitting coursework through the online coursework submission system on the day of a coursework deadline, an appropriate extension to the coursework submission deadline will be agreed. This extension will normally be 24 hours or the next working day if the deadline falls on a Friday or over the weekend period. This will be communicated via email and as a CUMoodle announcement.
6. Assignments that are more than 10% over the word limit will result in a deduction of 10% of the mark i.e. a mark of 60% will lead to a reduction of 6% to 54%. The word limit includes quotations, but excludes the bibliography, reference list and tables.
Mark allocation guidelines to students (to be edited by staff per assessment)
|Work mainly incomplete and /or weaknesses in most areas||Most elements completed; weaknesses outweigh strengths||Most elements are strong, minor weaknesses||Strengths in all elements||Most work exceeds the standard expected||All work substantially exceeds the standard expected|
|Examine the strategy of airline (25%)||Identification and analysis of airline’s financial performance (25%)||Examine airline’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (40%)||Spelling, grammar, presentation, report structure, referencing (10%)|
|The strategy of airline has been examined to an excellent level. It is very clear what it is doing and why which demonstrates excellent knowledge and understanding.||An excellent identification and analysis of airline’s financial performance across multiple measures showing understanding of them and their implications.||An excellent answer with very clear, logical, and appropriate findings, showing strong understanding of airline’s internal and external situations.||Excellent and professional spelling, grammar, presentation, and report structure. A wide range of appropriately supporting evidence is provided, going beyond the recommended texts. Correctly referenced.|
|A very good examination of airline’s strategy. It is clear what it is doing and why, but there are some shortcomings.||A very good answer that shows that you have dug into airline’s financial position and have decently identify its position. However, shortcomings were noticed.||A very good answer that demonstrates strong knowledge and understanding of airline’s internal and external perspectives. Nevertheless, there were some shortcomings.||Very good spelling, grammar, presentation, and report structure that show strong promise. A range of relevant sources used in a largely consistent way as supporting evidence. Correctly referenced overall.|
|The strategy of airline has been examined to a good level, demonstrating a reasonable level of knowledge and understanding. However, there are errors or omissions, which undermine the work.||A good identification and analysis of airline financial position demonstrating a good overall understanding. However, there are errors or omissions, which undermine the work.
|A good examination overall of airline’s positions, but your findings overall are not always sufficiently convincing or proved.||A good attempt at spelling, grammar, presentation, and the structure of your report, but with some problems. There was limited use of sources and referencing was not always correctly presented.
|A weak examination of airline’s strategy. There are a number of weaknesses, whether omissions or incorrect assertions, which demonstrates a relatively poor understanding of the airline.||A weak identification and analysis of airline’s financial performance, which was weakened further from omissions or errors throughout.||A weak examination that is incomplete, with a number of errors or omissions, or which does not appropriately address the position of airline.||A weak attempt at spelling, grammar, presentation, and report structure. A very limited range of relevant sources used and referencing contained a number of errors.|
|A very poor examination of airline’s strategy with weaknesses throughout, or where an examination hasn’t been done.||An inadequate answer that does not adequately address the requirements of the task. At the lower end, it fails to answer the question set or address the learning outcomes.||An inadequate answer that does not adequately address the requirements of this task. There are no findings, they are unrealistic, or they are without adequate depth, real-world applicability, or clarity.||Inadequate spelling, grammar, presentation, and report structure. Very limited use and application of relevant sources as supporting evidence, and poor and limited referencing.|